Wednesday, July 13

Apparently it is worse if you get it as an adult. Especially if you ave never had it before, and if you have a weakened immune system. It will get better in 10 days but it will take longer to shake the 'after-effects'. There is nothing we can do, you just have to let it run its course.

It started on June 25th and it was 10 days of one of the most painful things I have ever had in my life. Sparing all the gross details of hand, foot and mouth disease, it was constant, intense burning in my hands and feet accompanied by tremendous itching and general pain. The blisters came after a few days as did the red rash spots. Try to imagine a million needles jabbing you in your fingers and toes all day and night. You can not grip anything since even the slightest pressure on your fingers or hands is extremely painful. Same for the feet and toes - no walking for 2 days - and after those two days only a very slow pace wearing very thick socks.

I would not wish this on my worst enemy, except maybe that mean lady who doesn't like my dog.

Trying to accomplish homesteading, farming, or general housekeeping during the past few weeks have been a challenge at best. My husband did his best to help and so did the kids to some extent, but mostly I was left to wait it out and try my best. As I type this now, with my fingers functioning and just the slightest bit of numbness left in my fingertips, I am almost back to normal. When I went to the doctor on June 26th, I was in so much pain that I could hardly drive the car or walk into the doctors office. I sat there listening to them tell me the things I wrote in the first paragraph of this blog post and I was getting pretty upset. What do you mean there is nothing you can do? You are the doctor! There must be a pill. A lotion. A medically induced coma. Anything to make this go away.

Let me just say that I am very disappointed in the fragility of the human body. Maybe I have been jaded by too much star trek but I feel that in this time of technological advances, there should at least be a known cure for such medieval diseases like hand, foot and mouth. To me it ranks right up there with plague, scurvy and the black death.

Gross content alert  -- the peeling is awful. Every inch of skin that was effected on my hands and my feet has died and has been peeling off for about a week. It feels like I am shedding which should indicate a rebirth - strong and powerful. I don't feel like a survivor however. I feel like someone who still finds it painful to wear flipflops in July.

These past few weeks have been about me trying to do the best with what I have. The animals still need care. The garden still needs to be watered and tended. The beginning orchard needs to be fussed over and watered as well because of this horrible drought we are in. This involved hauling much water to the back field since we do not have irrigation lines. Add in the kids, the household and regular every-day chores and you really pay much more attention to how you treat your hands and feet.

A horrible way to end a blog post - be nice to your hands and feet! - but I can't think of anything more needed on a homestead than a strong pair of hands and sturdy feet on which to stand.


No comments:

Post a Comment