Sunday, May 29

Peas!



Apparently, it is good luck to plant peas on St. Patrick's Day and while I was a week late and we had some seriously cold and wet weather after I planted, my luck held and I now have rows of these beauties popping up in the garden.

The first to show in spring, along with the radishes, peas are my favorite thing to plant in the garden. Seven varieties this year:

Green Arrow
Maxigolt
Tall Telephone
Alaska
Lincoln
British Wonder
Little Marvel

I also started the radishes - Sparkler, French, Cherry Belle, Champion and Early Scarlet - along with beets, kale, onions, carrots and some spinach.

Most of the pea seeds were ones that I had saved from last years crop. The idea of saving my own seed has really come to the top of the list for me. It just seems to make sense - both financially and from a production standpoint. How many times have I bought seed from the store or a catalog only to have little to no germination? In the past I have been unable to get certain seed. And who is to say that the plant who's seed I was shipped in the mail will grow in Upstate New York?

If I can save the seed from my best plants every year then I should be able to reasonably say that when I plant that seed the next spring, it will grow. My climate, my soil, my gardening methods - they produced a healthy plant resulting in healthy seeds, that if saved properly, will be a reliable source for the next season.

The cost savings are what makes my husband happy. I can easily spend upwards of $60 on a single seed order, as many of us are tend to do. Learning how to save the seeds from the previous year to replant will cut way down on the catalog spending ( but I am making no promises that I will not drool over Baker Creek's selection of beans and pumpkins every year).


No comments:

Post a Comment