Friday, July 18

A Photo Story

This time of year is so busy in the garden that I find it hard to keep up. Everything is changing so fast - it seems like if I just stood and watched I could see the bean vines climbing up the three pole trellis, wrapping their feelers around anything within reach.
 
Photos slightly reminiscent of a flip book follow....
 
The Beans....
 
 
As of today, the beans are doing well. Lots of vines and climbing going on, but not an actual bean yet.
 
I planted Mammoth sunflowers in the centers of the three pole trellises to give the beans something else to wrap around and to give the trellises a little more of an anchor. We get some pretty heavy wind gusts with storms here.
 
The Onions...
 

 
I just like making garden signs.....
 
The Lettuce...

This has been my first season experimenting with lettuce. I tried growing some last year with mixed results. This year I picked a few varieties that looked delicious.
 
 
Mirlo lettuce

Red and Green Romaine
 
The Peas...

We all love peas so I like to plant at least two rows. Unfortunately the woodchucks love them too and I battle each year with fencing, fencing and more fencing to give the pea sprouts a fighting chance.
Some sections are doing better than others and we have gotten some peas on our plates. But some sections are giving us a ton of vines, but no pods.
 
 
Gourds, Pumpkins and Squash...
 

All of these items are in my unfenced, experimental rows section this year. The compost and layering is working very well, the weeding is very easy, and the spreading vines are somewhat contained in a row.
I had to replant a few hills due to no germination.





I have had a few deer or woodchuck 'nibbles' on some plants but I am hoping that they will find tastier things to try elsewhere. I thought that the rough texture and prickly stems and leaves of these types of plants would have been a deterrent.
 
The Tomatoes...
 

Ah, the tomato. Every gardeners dream and nightmare, nemesis and first love. Every year I stress over the tomatoes from the first seed planted until the harvest. Something ate half of my transplants this year. I was lucky that I started extra seed.
 



They look a little wild but my tomato plants always look like they got up on the wrong side of the bed without a hairbrush. I am very happy with my chosen mulching method this year and I think this is the one I will stick with. Cardboard, water, a tin layer of dirt, more water, and a healthy helping of straw (plus more water).


No comments:

Post a Comment