My new little chicks are no so little anymore. And the fluffy coated darlings have just about lost most of that fluff and replaced it with new-chick feathers - awkward looking but beautiful at the same time. I am getting a better idea of what they will look like as adults and I have already picked out two that I am definitely keeping.
|I am very happy with how these chicks have filled in.|
On a sad note, I did find one of the chicks dead yesterday morning. She must have passed on sometime during the night and there were no signs of injury. I know that this sometimes happens and that there is no explanation but it is always sad when an animal dies under my care. I removed her, checked her over for any clues as to what may have happened, and finding none, I took her outside and under the row of heavy pines.
|These girls still look a little awkward in the transition stage....|
The eleven chicks I have left are getting bolder and they have figured out that they can get airborne for a few seconds if they try hard enough. I have put some old window screens and some large pieces of cardboard over the top of the pen to prevent any escapes - accidental or intentional.
|They are getting so big, so fast.|
Also in the basement room are the seedlings which I am happy with so far. I have germination and good sprouts on all of the tomato varieties and all of the peppers. I was struggling with which watering technique I would use this year - comparing water usage, which was most time saving, etc. but in the end I just went with what I usually do. No set method, just the daily 'look and see'. I found that watering only from the bottom did not seem to be providing even soil moisture so I began gently watering from the top with the watering can for a couple of days, then switching to the spray bottle for the tops. I found that after germination the roots of the sprouts did a better job of pulling water from the reservoir below and I do not have to spend so much time with the spray bottle.
But, given that I am using the old stand-by 'look and see' method, I check them at least once a day and if they seem dry I give them water. if they are evenly moist, I don't. Not very scientific, I know, but I never liked science class very much anyway.