Wednesday, April 2

Mud, Broccoli Sprouts, Chicks and More Mud

As I sit here writing this at the kitchen table I can hear the water dribbling into the sump pump tank in the basement. Every 10 minutes or so the pump will come to life as the water limit is reached and it will send a torrent of water shooting out the side of the house through a black flexible hose.
 
I know exactly where Seamus is too when this is happening because his new favorite game is to watch the water slowly run down into the tank, and the little bits of dirt and debris that go with it.
All this water is from that melting snow that came from that freak storm last weekend and dumped upwards of 6 inches on us. As if trying to rake dead leaves and clearing out the rose beds wasn't depressing enough for me before that, I just wanted to sit down and cry when I saw that snow fall.
 
I was outside last week trying to rake and feeling quite sorry for myself in that half of the leaves were still frozen to the ground. This weather is bringing out the worst in me and I wonder if spring will ever get here. I did manage to find a few snowdrops sprouting which made me feel a little better but they are now buried under what is left of that 6 inches and I am in a bad mood again.
 
At this point, I don't even want to step foot in my yard since it is an awful, muddy and puddle filled mess. Everything looks dead. Mud is everywhere. The grass that is showing through in some spots is pitiful to look at. I slog through it twice a day to complete the chicken chores and the rest of the time I try to ignore it and stare it my sprouting seedlings in the basement and try to improve my mood. They are green and growing and I didn't even feel bad for thinning out the broccoli starts yesterday.
 
 
I gave the trimmings to the new girls in the basement under the heat lamp. They are about 3 weeks old now and they are growing so fast. Most of them are showing quite a few feathers and they are getting more daring, inquisitive and fast. I can not catch one of these girls without a huge effort which just leads to scaring them. I don't want to give them a complex so I leave them alone but I talk to them and try to get them to like me. When I first got them I was dealing with about 3 cases of pasty butt per day and they were easier to catch then. After about 4 or 5 days, there were no more signs of pasty butt and they all started gain weight, height and attitude.
The new girls - about 1 1/2  weeks old

Taken today - about 3 weeks

The black puffy ones have started to get some nice dark feathers


These girls have such pretty coloring. I like this stage in that they still have some of the soft fluff but you can see more of what their feathers will be like.

These girls are fast. I can not catch of the lighter colored ones and I can hardly catch one of the black ones anymore either. The black ones were the only ones that had the pasty butt problem.



No comments:

Post a Comment