Friday, January 24

Using Up Some Yarn

A friend was over the other day and when I needed to go into the laundry room with her to get something she saw my laundry baskets full of yarn - all 4 of them - and remarked "Wow, you have a lot of yarn!" Given that I have a bad habit of clearing out the earth-tones section if Joann Fabrics, this comment did not suddenly jolt me into reality. I am fully aware of my problem and my inability to turn down a new shade of chunky sock yarn.
 
 
So, in the interest of space and to me not becoming "that crazy yarn hoarding"lady, I have lately started devoting what little spare time I have to using up my collection. I have found some very nice patterns online for blankets, sweaters, hats and, or course, socks.
 
One of my latest favorites is this baby blanket I made for a co-worker of Roy's who is expecting next month. And there will be more to come.
 
 

 
I am very happy with the way it turned out. When I first started it, I was not sure I would like the finished product. I thought it was going to be too 'full of holes' and I would not be able to see the pattern. But I was very happy with it as a finished product.
 
Here is the pattern:
 
Free Crochet Pattern from Lion Brand Yarn Lion Brand® Pound of Love® Dreamy Lace Baby Throw Pattern Number: 90425AD
SKILL LEVEL:  Easy
SIZE: One Size About 35 x 35 in. (89 x 89 cm)
CORRECTIONS: None as of Dec 3, 2009. To check for later updates, click here.
MATERIALS
• 550-099 Lion Brand Pound of Love Yarn: Antique White   1  Ball • Lion Brand Crochet Hook - Size H-8  • Large-Eye Blunt Needles (Set of 6)  
GAUGE:
16 sts + 7 rows = 4 in. (10 cm) in pattern. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you less stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
THROW Ch 141. Row 1: Dc in 5th ch from hook, *sk next 2 ch, 5 dc in next ch (shell made), sk next 2 ch, dc in next ch, ch 1, sk next ch, dc in next ch; rep from * across – 17 shells at the end of this row. Rows 2-54: Ch 4, turn, *sk next ch-1 sp, dc in next dc, sk next 2 dc, 5 dc in next dc, sk next 2 dc, dc in next dc, ch 1; rep from * across, dc in 3rd ch of turning ch. Do not fasten off. Border Rnd 1: Do not turn, work sc evenly spaced around entire outside edge of Throw, working 3 sc in each corner; join with sl st in first sc. Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc in same sc as join, sk next sc, 5 dc in next sc, *sk next sc, sc in next sc, sk next sc, 5 dc in next sc; rep from * around; join with sl st in first sc. Note: In order to end evenly, you may need to sk an additional st or two. Fasten off.
FINISHING Weave in ends.
ABBREVIATIONS / REFERENCES Click for explanation and illustration ch(s) = chain(s) ch-space = space previously made dc = double crochet rep = repeat(s)(ing) rnd(s) = round(s) sc = single crochet sk = skip sl st = slip stitch sp(s) = space(s) st(s) = stitch(es)


1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I'm definitely behind using it up! It's not doing you any good in those baskets, but I bet a lovely sweater or two would be great.

    The blanket is wonderful, by the way.

    ReplyDelete