Thursday, November 21

Dehydrating Potatoes

Since I seem to be missing the gene that tells me how to accomplish the simple task of storing potatoes, I had to come up with another way to keep our harvest from turning soft and sprouting.
 
I remembered that while attending the Plan B workshop at Cold Antler Farm Kathy Harrison brought with her a jar of dehydrated potatoes. She rehydrated them for us and - surprise - they tasted like potatoes.
 
So I broke out my food dehydrator and stated peeling our harvest.
 
According to the internet, I had to peel the potatoes, cut them into manageable slices and boil them until they were tender. Then I had to drain them and put them in the refrigerator overnight. They turned out like this:
 

A little 'spotted' so I ended up tossing about a third of the potatoes that I had cooked. I sliced the rest into potato chip thick slices and placed them on the dehydrating racks. Most of them sliced fairly well except the ones that had cooked a little too long and were too soft to cut cleanly.


I ended up with some mushy slice pieces that the chickens were very happy to receive, along with the overly 'spotted' potatoes.


I turned on the dehydrator and let it run for about 6 hours. The result was pretty good, for a first attempt. I managed to save some of our potato harvest, and some self space in the pantry - a two gallon bucket of spuds condensed into a 4 cup Tupperware of dehydrated chips.


No comments:

Post a Comment