Monday, July 8

Superstition (dare I say that I am happy with my garden!?)

All this humid and wet weather has been doing wonders for the veggie gardens and I am going to go out on a superstitious limb here and say that I think it is going to be a great year.
 
As of today my 30' x 40' food garden has given us strawberries, radishes, lettuce, spinach and I saw the first peas ready to pick this afternoon.
 
Garden roll call, in sections:
 
Cucumbers, Watermelon, American melon, Eggplant, and Zucchini

Gold rush bush bean, Scarlet runner bean, Green bush bean, and Purple podded pole bean

Peas, carrots, radishes, lettuce, spinach, red and white onions, strawberries

Broccoli and cauliflower

Tomatoes - cherry, sungold, evergreen, red brandywine and yellow pear

Peppers - hot, green and red
Calendula, basil, German chamomile, parsley, sunflowers, thyme and rosemary
 
 
 
The first few tiny tomatoes got my attention today. Since I misplaced the wooden popsicle sticks
that told me which tomato plant was which, I can only guess the variety shown here.

My spinach, carrots, white onions, radishes and some marigolds thrown in
to ward off hungry mammals.


This is our second year growing lettuce. I have mixed feelings about it and I tend to wash it
at least 3 or 4 times before eating it. I don't know what I am scared of - at least I know that there are no
chemicals or pesticides on the leaves. Maybe it's just seeing a wayward snail attached to a leaf that gives me the creeps. 



One of my all-time favorite garden staples. Delicious!
We used straw to mulch the peas, beans and the rows in between this year as an experiment with weed control.
So far, I am ok with the results. I have still had to weed the rows of plants, but not much on the walk way row.
My problem with the straw is that it tends to blow around and you end up getting fistfuls of it when you are trying to grab and pull out a stubborn weed.

I am happy with the runner beans this year even though they got off to a slow start thanks to the
hungry woodchuck. My new garden mantra: fencing, fencing, fencing!!!!

The tomatoes with their bed of weed preventing mulch. I am very happy with the mulch option so far. I have
had to pull a total of 8 weeds from the entire patch of tomatoes so far this season. My only fear is that it will
not compost into the soil well over the winter and we will end up with unexpected soil problems.

Despite massive fencing efforts something made their way through three fence barriers and ate my
broccoli and my cauliflower. Unlike last year, which was a total loss after something ate the plants all the way
to the ground, this year they only ate the top 1/3rd of each plant. I am seeing new growth and I am hopeful that my 4th layer of fencing will deter even the more hungry of bunnies.

This is part of my food garden, and after 10+ years of planning, planting, experimenting with fencing and dirt and
different types of plants, cursing, crying, jumping for joy, sweating, swearing, hammering, digging and weeding, I think I am finally starting to be happy with the design and the output.
But that doesn't mean I can't expand......

No comments:

Post a Comment