Saturday, May 4

This past week has been a flurry of activity here. Since the weather has been cooperating wonderfully, we have been spending just about every spare minute outside taking care of projects.

Although I feel like we will never catch up, and no matter how much we do, it still feels like just a drop in the bucket, things are getting done.

The leaf raking, which should have been done last fall, has finally been taken care of for most of the yard. This year I will make sure there is time to take care of things in the fall since raking them in the spring is not a fun task for me. Besides the fact that they have gotten rather smelly and moldy over the winter, it is so hard for me to get going with the gardens when I know that I have an additional stop added before I can even see what is going on. My sprouts are buried under a blanket of musty old decay. I am happy to say that the leaves have been raked and dumped to compost in the side field.

Speaking of that side field, I am letting a significant portion of the yard and garden go back to field this year. I want to give the soil a chance to recharge in the areas that we have been using for the past few years, and I have come to think that having the field grasses and wildflowers is more appealing to me than having the close cropped grass. I am looking into some cover crops that I can plant to help further replenish the soil there. I am thinking of some sort of Rye and maybe some clover.


The experimental potato mound.
On one section of the old garden Roy has decided to conduct a potato growing experiment. Even if it does not result in any potatoes, it will still provide some compost for the field. We put down a layer of cardboard over a 6' x 12' area and I dumped many, many loads of coop shoveling on top - about 8" worth - covering all of the cardboard. We are going to put another few inches of topsoil over the straw and poo, and in that mess is where the potatoes are supposed to grow.

We'll see.

The new garden fencing is coming along. I have two rows of posts in and hopefully I will be able to dig the other two rows this weekend. I have high hopes for this fencing system. If this doesn't work, I am going to invest in cement blocks are mortar. This year, the woodchucks will not be having a free buffet.


One row of posts, rough cut larch, in the ground.
I try to make things festive by using a bright purple
guide rope.


Since I had such great results with the raised beds last year, I wanted to add at least two more this year. I got them together this past week and I am waiting on the delivery of our soil, hopefully this weekend. These beds will house my peppers, carrots, onions and lettuce.


Two new raised garden beds made from rough cut larch.

 
 


 Such high hopes this year, as is the same with every season. There are so many things that can go wrong - seedling failures, no germination, bugs, worms, disease, woodchucks, bunnies, the little man unsupervised with a shovel.

All I can do is try my best, read a lot, be observant and vigilant, and say a little prayer to the garden gods that this year will bring a harvest to be proud of.


No comments:

Post a Comment