Friday, May 3

My Naughty Sweetheart


 It has been a while since I have had a kitten in the house and I had forgotten what a fun, cute, adventurous, naughty, aggressive, cuddling, scratching, biting, sweethearts they can be.


Seamus is no exception. One minute he is lounging in a strange yet seemingly comfortable yoga position on my lap and the next he is attacking my hand and launching himself off my leg to chase some imaginary foe.

He loves the kids and the other two cats, even though he sometimes gets a little rough and I have to get out the spray bottle. He also has a very annoying habit of climbing into the refrigerator every time someone opens it and sitting on one of the shelves like he is just another gallon jug of milk.

His adjustment from a care free outdoor barn cat to an indoor house cat has been a little trying, for both him and myself. He tries to run out the door when it is opened, but then he is not really sure what to do once he gets out there. I put him in Prince's old pen the other day so he could get some fresh air but he was not thrilled with it and wanted someone to come and get him in short order.

He has managed to destroy two house plants, the corner of the recliner, and a glass mason jar left too close to the edge of the counter top. Whoever said cats were graceful never met Seamus. He manages to knock everything off the windowsill over the kitchen sink on a daily basis on his quest for a fly or to stare at the birds in the side yard. I have thought about taking the solar radio, the candle and the black wooden Amish cart and horse down until this behavior gets out of his system, but I have decided that I am going to win this particular battle of wills. He knocks them down, I put them back - at least three times a day.

But his is not all craziness. He will cuddle up with us at night to watch television or at the foot of our bed when we are sleeping. He will take naps with the baby on the couch and let the little man pet his tummy. He loves to play cars with the kids - they send them down the ramp and he attacks them like they are painted metal mice on wheels. He can play cars for hours. Sometimes he will play all by himself and Roy and I will hear the car ramp noises in the quiet of the evening after the kids are in bed. Beep, beep, vroom, vroom.

I feel some regret about his upcoming vet appointment where he will be 'fixed'. I keep reminding him that he is doing the right thing and that he is helping the keep down the pet population. I have taken to turning on the Price is Right during the day so he can hear Drew remind us all to "help control the pet population, have your pet spayed or neutered."

I don't think he quite understands yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment