Saturday, April 6

Right now the baby is walking around the kitchen in a pair of the little mans sneakers, wrapped up in one of her crochet baby blankets, clutching the little man's yellow plastic toy screwdriver and talking to herself. From what I can tell by her cheerful tone, she is happy with the conversation.

If I did this, I think someone would have me sent to the nut house.

Seamus is taking great interest in following her around, swiping his paw at the trailing end of baby blanket. He takes a periodic break to sniff the questionable piece of lunch meat that I just dropped into his bowl. I am conducting an experiment.


In his book, Folks, This Ain't Normal, Joel Salatin describes an experiment he conducted with hamburger and cats. It is not as strange as you think.

He put two plates of hamburger down for his cats. One had Polyface grass fed burger and the other plate has burger from a local supermarket. According to Joel, the cats came running when the plates were set down, as all cats are likely to do. The cats sniffed the supermarket burger, passed it up, went to the plate with the Polyface burger, and devoured it.

I decided to try this with some lunch meat. I only had the one kind - deli sliced roasted turkey from our local supermarket. And my intent was not so 'point-making' as Joel's. I was going to have sandwiches for lunch but I wasn't sure if the lunch meat had been in the fridge one day too many. So, I gave it to the cat and we had peanut butter instead. The fact that he did not end up eating the lunch meat confirmed my suspicions that it was not at it's most fresh and I chalked it up to a win on my part - the little man and I not having digestive distress from consuming 'past-its-prime" turkey.

What a nice summary this would be if the phrase "if it's good enough for the cat, then it's good enough for me" was something I could base all my food choices on. Think of the money I would save. More appropriately, I think the concluding phrase "don't eat anything that your cat won't eat" is much more plausible. Not to say that you should eat canned cat food and the occasional dead mouse, but you get my point.

While I am thinking about all of this, it seems that, with all the hard decisions we have to make and all the variables we consider, maybe it is just as simple as cats and babies.

The lesson I am taking from the baby and the cat today: have a pleasant conversation with yourself that makes you happy, and adopt your cats eating habits. (or, have more fun and stop making your food choices so difficult).

No comments:

Post a Comment