Tuesday, April 2

Reducing the Knitting and Crochet Projects Pile

I've been spending a lot of time finishing up a pile of knitting projects, mostly during late night episodes of Walking Dead, NCIS and various historical documentaries. I am big on the Civil War right now. I am one of those people who has to multi task. I can not just sit and watch a television show or a movie and not have a knitting project, sewing project, or even a coloring book with a new box of crayons in my hands.
 
 
A cousin is having a baby boy in June so I worked up this nice soft blanket for her. I found a pattern online that I liked and altered it a little. It is a V stitch with an extra four double crochet stitches on each end to make a nice border. I did 4 rows of double crochet on the bottom (when i started the blanket) and 4 rows of double crochet to finish off the blanket. That way I had the border I wanted.
 
 


Here is the V stitch information that I used:

V-Stitch Definition

Work 1 dc st, 1 ch st, and 1 more dc st in same ch or sp.
The starting chain is a muliple of 4 + 9.
Row 1 (V-Stitch Row):  dc in 4th ch from hook, (ch 1, skip next 3 chs, V-st in 4th ch from hook.) Repeat sequence in parentheses all the way across the row. When you get to the end of the row, work a dc in each of the last 2 chs.
Row 2 (Single Crochet and Chains Row): Ch 1, turn.
Sc in each of the first 2 dc sts. (Sc in ch-1 space, sc in next V-st, ch 3, sc in same V-st.) Repeat sequence in parentheses all the way across the row. When you get to the end of the row, Sc in the last ch-1 space, then work 1 sc in each of the last 2 sts.
Row 3 (V-Stitch Row): Ch 3, turn.
Skip the first sc; turning chain counts as the first dc. Dc in next sc. (Ch 1, V-st in next ch-3 space.) Repeat sequence in parentheses all the way across the row. When you get to the end of the row, ch 1, then work 1 dc in each of the last 2 sts.

The next project I finished was a nice birthday scarf for a friend of mine. We are both avid scarf collectors so I wanted to find a unique, but easy pattern. I ended up going with a variation of the Carmen's Shawl pattern because I liked how loose it was. I used a heavier weight yarn than the pattern called for and basically ended up doing a variation on the V stitch. I am happy with the way it turned out - the color is a nice forest greet, but for some reason the picture looks more like a gray color.

 
And of course, I have been knitting more socks. I am almost done with these light blue ones to go with the baby blanket, and I will be knitting a hat also. The navy blue and yellow sock and hat set are for my brother, who is a big Notre Dame fan. He will be moving back to New York from Nevada in a few months, and he is not used to the chilly nights that can get even into the summer months.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment