Thursday, February 7

13 Skills

logo from 13Skills.com

Things that may have been common knowledge to our Grandparents generation are a mystery to a lot of us. This is one of the reasons that I wanted to learn more about homesteading in the beginning - I was totally dependent on cheap junk and food that wasn't really even food - just a concoction of chemicals and corn syrup. I knew how to crochet and I knew that I liked to grow flowers, and it went from there.

In learning and growing and trying new things, I have found out first hand just how important and rewarding it is to know you can do things for yourself - whether they are homesteading basics like canning or modern necessities like learning how to change the brake pads on your car. It is important and I think it will become more and more necessary in years to come.

Prices are going up across the board - gas, food, clothing, chicken feed, car repairs, diapers - and the more I can do, grow or make for myself, the better I feel.

I recently found this site through The Survival Podcast, which encourages all of us to learn some new basic skills. Now, I listen to this podcast occasionally - when there is a topic being discussed that I am interested in. I like the guy who does the show, but sometimes he can get a little intense. So, listen, but don't let him 'freak you out'.

The Life Skills Challenge 2013: "13Skills.com is the Home of the 13 in 13 Challenge Sponsored and Created by The Survival Podcast. Join us as we help to restore a can do spirit to our modern world by committing to learning 13 new life skills in 2013."

I encourage you to check out the site, and even if you don't sign up, there are a lot of great ideas and topics of discussion to motivate you.

No comments:

Post a Comment