Monday, August 20

Stress and Alien Abduction

It has been quite a busy, hectic, stressful and fulfilling past few weeks here. There are so many things going on and so many obligations on the calendar that I have fallen into bed every night right after the last dish is air drying in the rack.

I wake up feeling more tired than I was when my head hit the pillow the night before and I chalk it up to stress and spreading ourselves too thin. Or I am quite possibly being abducted by aliens while I sleep, remembering nothing when I wake, but missing that rest I so desperately need.

August is always like this for us. Trying to get all those "we should do that" or "we should go there" things in before the summer ends and fall is upon us. Add other peoples notions along the same lines that include us, work, kid activities, homestead chores, animal care and the occasional shower and it is non-stop mayhem here.

As of this moment the house smells of garlic and dirty diapers. This afternoon I caught the baby snacking on a goldfish cracker she found while crawling on the living room rug. And the piles are growing - laundry piles, unread magazine piles, mail piles, dirty dish piles......

But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Or I should say, on the calendar. These next few days are big glowing white empty spaces, save the  21, 22 and 23. It is so rare that it looks very much out of place where almost every other square is filled with names and times. Very stark in comparison. You can see them from across the kitchen and they are starting to scare me. Did I forget something? What didn't I write down? Am I going to get a call from a doctors office or a friend wondering where I am?

So these next few days will be spent playing catch-up, and I am enlisting the little man. He has started doing "chores". Little things around the house to teach him a little responsibility and maybe even earn a few quarters for his piggy.

First things first however. I am hitting the showers and hoping that Burt's Bees Rosemary and Peppermint body wash will be strong enough to rid my hands of the garlic odor.

I have a lot to share with you if you will pardon my recent absence....

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear what you've been up to. Try to enjoy the trip, if you can. It can be so hard when we get caught up in the day to day.

    ReplyDelete