Saturday, August 25

A Good Night of Shooting


Disregard arrow sticking out of the side of the shed.....
I am going to be bragging in this post.

Shameless, blatant, brazen, unashamed bragging. No apologize here, for tonight I totally rock.

It is not often that I can say that I "rock" now that I am a stay-at-home-Mom/homesteader/small farmer. The closest I come to "rocking" is when the beans grow up the trellis, the tomatoes don't fall over and the little man goes a day without having an 'accident' in his undies. And maybe when I can get the dishes, laundry and vacuuming done before 10pm on the weeknight.

But this is just for me. I have been needing something just for me for quite some time now. An activity that I could do by myself, for myself and maybe ease a little of the stress. So when I found Roy's old bow that belonged to his Grandfather, I decided to give it a try.

I had been reading about archery on the Cold Antler Farm blog and I have always been interested in the craft. It fits right into my view of life - it is quiet, it is not something that every does, and it takes practice.

Given that I have not been at it that long, tonight was pretty good for me. Usually I consider it a good night of shooting when I hit the straw bale a least 70% of the time and don't put too many holes in the shed. Hitting the target is another story - I'm happy with the bale. When I hit the target it is usually on the edge or in the 7's or 8's.



And that's how it's done...
Tonight, I got the 10. Twice. Bulls eye.

And the 9. Twice.

The first three thoughts that went through my mind when I first hit the 10 were:

Dumb luck.
Divine intervention.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and a while.

I feel bad for the squirrel, but I know the joy he must feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment