Tuesday, July 10

Preventing Garden Pilfering

This evening the little man and I made yet another trip to Tractor Supply. This time for fencing materials and chicken feed. He was quite helpful and actually pushed the cart with two large bags of chicken feed all by himself - a job that he insisted he could do as I was trying to figure out how to get two very heavy carts to the checkout.


I decided on the Red Brand welded wire fencing - 48 in. x 100 ft. I bought four Studded T Posts for the corners (6-1/2 ft) and twelve light duty fence posts (5ft) for the spaces in between. I wanted to get the heavy duty posts for the entire fence but it was just not in the budget. Also not in the budget were any type of metal fasteners to attach the fencing to the posts so we ended up using heavy duty zip ties that we already had at the house.

It was late when we started since we waited for the baby to fall asleep so we were fighting daylight and mosquitoes. But I could not stand one more night of garden raids on what little I had left. Roy and the little man were up for the challenge.

This is not the way I wanted to go about this project - I was planning on saving up and hiring someone to construct my dream fence some day. More out of want than out of necessity. But with each season bringing on more and more garden pilfering, I went with what we could afford and construct ourselves.

That said, it is a good fence that does its job. You can't say that about many products lately.

Little man and I had measured before we went to the store and, given some grass space on all four sides of the garden for maneuvering the tiller and walking space, we totalled up 2 sides at 50' and 2 sides at 47'.

First we made sure that we had our measurements right and Roy pounded in each corner post with the sledgehammer. Then we strung a line of string from each corner post to the next, making sure we were square and lined up. Roy pounded in each of the spacing posts - two on the shorter side and three on the longer, evenly spaced. The other long side has four spacer posts to allow for a gate of some kind.

After the posts were all in Roy started unrolling the fencing, started at one of the corner posts. As he unrolled and pulled, I fastened the fencing to each post using the zip ties. It was hard going - the fence was very heavy and he was pulling it tight by hand.

We decided against using any type of pulling leverage since we did not want to bend the corner posts. He did a good job of holding it tight until I got it all tied and little man was the official zip tie holder - handing them over one by one for each post.

We kept unrolling and fastening all the way around the square - even over where the gate was going to be. It was getting a little dark and as we were using zip ties, it would be easy for us to come back and re-work the gate area. We were about a foot short on the end and it was near bedtime for little man. We used a spare piece of garden netting to temporarily cover the space and when we re-do the gate, we will have enough to finish up.
Getting the fence up was the main priority and the details can wait a little.

All in all, i am pleased with how it looks and I am glad that I left room for a little grass space on the inside. I think I will be able to make a great garden space inside the 100' square and I will try to keep the most tempting treats growing inside the protection of the galvanized metal in future seasons.


2 comments:

  1. Nice fencing!!! We were so budget strapped when we fenced our garden in that it's all deer netting on posts. It works, but it's taking a beating. Real fencing is on my list for next year.

    Yours looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to fence my garden off this year too. Between the rabbits and the woodchucks.....all I'm going to get are stems. :) I have that fencing for our outdoor coop. Hopefully the baby woodchucks won't be able to get through the holes - the squirrels get through ours.

    ReplyDelete