Friday, June 15

My First House Wren

This season I have a family of house wrens living in the back yard birdhouse. And I have been privileged to pretty bird songs every day it is warm enough to have the windows open.

These guys can really sing. Such small brown bundles of sleek feathers - they seem to put their whole body into their song, flapping and exaggerating. I have been watching them as they fill the house with small twigs and bedding and I hope to see some fledgling young boys and girls take their first tentative steps towards flight someday soon.

Along with the bluebirds and chickadees that have taken up residence in the two bird houses by the vegetable garden, I have a whole community of barn swallows being hatched in their crowded nests on the barn beams.

No comments:

Post a Comment