Tuesday, May 15

And Yet Another....


Tis' the season for kitties in the 'country'.

People, acting with either good intentions or pure stupidity, pull their cars over on what they think is a 'country' road and leave a cat.

Cats in the country - how cute. They are everywhere in the country, right? They live lives of freedom and luxury in well stocked barns and are fed by old ladies with bags of cat food always on hand. They lounge in wildflower filled fields and on stone barn walls warmed by the sun and getting fat on the generosity and plenty that is kitty life in the country.

They will do great, right? They will love being wild and free and will just find food, right? All cats can hunt and are naturals at finding warm, comfortable shelter, right? And it's spring - almost summer - it is warm and breezy and they can chase butterflies.

Meet our most recent drop-off. Confused, bone-thin, terrified.

And I want to stress that we are not really in the 'country'. We are on a road that does not have lines, but we are 10 minutes away from the nearest Dunkin' Donuts. We have fields and farmland and quiet nights with peepers, but we also have a housing development going in across the main road.

A beautiful cat with very interesting markings that you can't see in this photo. Her tail is ringed - little doughnut rings of alternating white and light grey on her whole tail. I am calling this one a "she" even though I have no idea if she is a boy or a girl. Kitty is a "boy" for now, so I thought I would have a girl kitty too. She is SO THIN. I can see her hip bones, ribs and spine. Her face is slightly elongated, coming to a point at her nose. She might have some Siamese in her. She has beautiful green eyes.

I have managed to get some food to her through a terra cotta plate by the peony bush and lots of patience and not making eye contact. After only a few days of wandering into my yard, she seems to be sticking around, for the food at least.

Kitty is doing very well in the barn. He still will not let me pet him but I am greeted every evening - feeding time - with meows and no mad rushes to hide behind the pile of old screen doors stored in the barn corner. He watches me from a distance of about 5 feet while I pour the food into the bowl and he meows at me when I talk to him.

I want to think that there are good hearted people out there who will take care of the cats and kittens that are left on the roadside. I want to think that people in general are not so naive to think that a house cat or a three week old kitten can survive in the woods or a field or someones barn full of old tractors. And I want to think that most people are just not so heartless.

1 comment:

  1. My husband and I are some of the good hearted ones who pick up stray cats and kittens. Some of the best cats we ever had were strays. One of ours we actually found at a Perkins Restaurant parking lot. He was afraid of my hubby but not me. He came right to me. He smelt of gasoline and was covered with fleas. We took him home and washed him up and gave him probably the first non-garbage meal he had ever had. He eventually did make up with my husband after a few years. He is an excellent mouser but not a lap cat. I don't understand why if you can't take care of a cat why you drop it off. And if you have a cat get it fixed. There are so many homeless cats and dogs now it's sad.

    ReplyDelete