Monday, April 23

Waiting for Soil and The Next Round



The second, and final, round of seeds was started under the basement growing lights the other day. Everything that will be germinated and growing into a fine young seedling by the first week in May, combined with the earlier startings of peppers and tomatoes and broccoli, will make a full garden this year.

Along with the pumpkins, gourds and various squash varieties, I started the melons, cucumbers and a few varieties of flowers that I hope to use in making some of my own salves and lotions.

The roll call is as follows:

Lemon Balm
German Chamomile
Pumpkin
Calendula
Resina Calendula
Squash Musquee de Provence
Shamrock Squash
White Winter Squash
Cucumber
American Melon
Birdhouse Gourd
Swan Gourd
Watermelon
Bedfordshire Prize Cucumber
Zucchini

All that is left now, besides the transplanting and hardening off of basement seedlings, will be the direct sow plants. Peas, beans and corn will go right into the garden, just freshly tilled by Roy last week. I also have the two new raised beds to fill with lettuce, radishes, carrots, onions and maybe I will devote one of the two beds to strawberries - but only after I get each one filled with soil. I am awaiting the arrival of the big dump truck from the contractor up the road to bring my soil that I will shovel and dump into the beds. I bought a few bags of organic mushroom compost and manure to enrich the soil a bit and i have no doubt that i will be harvesting with abandon the fruits of my labor come mid-summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment