Thursday, February 9

Belly Armor (Sounds so Medieval)



While pregnant with our little girl Roy brought home a few items from a baby products expo that he went to. One of which was the Belly Armor by RadiaShield. The box stated that this blanket, when placed over your belly, would protect your growing baby against harmful everyday radiation. Cell phones, wi-fi, etc.

First, I loved the packaging. Minimal, which is always great, and made with recycled materials. The box also states that "all products made with socially responsible processes." Nice!

This particular model was the Belly Blanket Luxe, and according to the website,"Luxurious cotton micro-fleece and satin together with RadiaShield® fabric make this blanket a convenient and unobtrusive way to protect your child within against the risks of everyday radiation. Easily portable in your handbag, this blanket is ideal for both the home and the office. With the highest quality textiles and the always reliable protection of RadiaShield®, you will fall in love with this ultra-soft protector."

Not that I am exposed to that much radiation on a daily basis - or am I?

On a daily basis, the radiation that people are exposed to can come from two sources, naturally occurring and man made.

Nuclear radiation is all around us in the environment - radioactive elements found in rock, soil, water, air, and in food from the earth make there way in our bodies when we drink water, breath air or eat foods which contain them. Radon, the stuff that you have to run a test in the basement for before buying a house, is the result of off gassing from soil and rocks, generally speaking. We are also exposed to naturally occurring cosmic rays.

Man made radiation can come in many forms, some being x-rays, cordless phones, microwaves, baby monitors, televisions, laptops, PC's and cell phones. There is much debate on if and how much radiation is emitted from these devices by way of the electromagnetic field.

That's enough technical stuff. So, I am exposed to radiation be it man made or naturally occurring, on a daily basis. The naturally occurring stuff has always been there, which means that the people of the Dark Ages were also receiving their daily dose. But now we add in the man made stuff and according to some studies, we are getting more than we should.

Now that I had been made aware of the radiation risks all around me, i was glad to have this great new blanket. How could I not want to use it constantly? Why didn't every pregnant lady have one? They should make full radiation snuggies! Snuggies for everyone! We would all wear them and society would look like one of those advance cultures on Star Trek, all slowly strolling around perfectly manicured futuristic cites, smiling and chatting on cell phones.

So, I am exposed to radiation on a daily basis and this blanket keeps it off my belly and away from the baby. This is a good thing. Just to see, both to test the blanket and to verify in my own mind that my cell phone was a device of radiation emitting horror, I did the Cell Phone Test described on the blanket packaging.



Yes, it works.

But I am just going to go ahead and say it - Am i going to freak out about this? I pick my battles, mostly due to a severe lack of time. I love the homesteading lifestyle and we do quite a bit, but not everything. I also strive to be as chemical free in our home as possible, but we are not 100%. And with that said, there are a lot of things out there, many controversial, that are bad for you. Asbestos, lead paint and high fructose corn syrup are all bad for you. Cell phone radiation, wax on apples and nail polish remover - not necessarily good for you in some aspects, but in the grand scheme of things, I would focus on removing any lead paint from my home before I dove into researching the pros and cons of Sally Hansen.

I used the belly armor - my own choice - and I was glad I did for peace of mind. I don't know if typing on a laptop while pregnant is a serious health risk and I am not going to make clothes out of aluminum foil and hide in a bunker. You just have to know how far to take things and pick your battles.



Info on the Belly Armor Belly Blanket Luxe:

Instructions: During pregnancy, drape over your midsection while sitting or lying down.

Efficacy:99.9% Shielding Effectiveness (~50dB). View independent FCC-certified laboratory testing report. Try the Cell Phone Test.
Dimensions:30 x 35 inches (75 x 90 cm)
Material:Cotton micro-fleece, satin and RadiaShield® lining

Here is a good review of the blanket from Mummy's Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment