Friday, January 27

Goodwill Gems

To me, part of living sustainably means that we are not constantly buying everything new. We try to buy used whenever possible or practical. Also, living on one income so I can stay home with the babies makes saving money even more important. Craigs list has been wonderful, especially with baby furniture, and, yes, we shop at Goodwill.

I can not stand the thought of paying full price for things such as cribs, handbags or household 'feathering the nest' items. I can get a good pair of insulated boots that are used, but are perfect for wearing out to the coop and doing yard work. And usually I pay under $7 for them.

Yesterday the babies and I stopped at a Goodwill store as a treat for the little man - he likes to look at the toys and I let him pick out something to buy with his own money. I must approve it first to make sure it is safe, clean and age appropriate, but he thinks this is a very big deal and he can get something I know he will like for a fraction of the price.

Turns out, we had a VERY good day at this particular Goodwill. I made a few fantastic scores:

These Melissa and Doug and Battat puzzles were in one bag for $2.99. They are all in great condition and are very educational (US states map puzzle, world map puzzle). The Melissa and Doug farm puzzle retails for $9.99 and the musical modes of transportation puzzle for $12.99.



As for the Battat puzzles, I could not find these exact ones online, but you can get a set of similar ones for $15.00





This is a Rosle kitchen utensil holder complete with can opener, garlic press, whisk, bottle opener, melon baller, pizza cutter, ice cream scoop, 2 vegetable peelers, 1 tea strainer and one apple core remover. I tried to find this item online but i could not find the entire set being sold, or the holder. I did check the Rosle website and found that these are quite good in quality:




"Since 1888, Rösle has been using German engineering to produce the finest
quality professional cooking tools and kitchen utensils for the professional
chef and home cook. Designed for optimum performance, comfort and appearance,
Rösle cookware offers a complete integrated system of kitchen utensils, cookware
tools, colanders, casseroles, frying pans, skillets, barbecue utensils, barware
and more. Made from the highest grade 18/10 stainless steel, Rösle will bring
pleasure to food preparation that is guaranteed for a lifetime."



I priced out a few items and the pizza cutter = $23, the can opener = $45 and the ice cream scoop = $23.



I PAID $8.99 for ALL OF THEM!!!!!!





Edith Blackwell Holden's work, "The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady" cost me $1.99 and I think it was worth every penny. I am planning on doing a little blog project with this book shortly.


Yes, those are Little House books. A complete set. Very nice condition and they will hopefully inspire my daughter as soon as she is old enough to read them. One of my first gifts to her that will inspire a love of reading and a pioneer spirit.



Over at Lehman's, you can get a brand new set for $49.95. I paid $2.99 for the set.



ONLY $2.99!!!!!!




Now, even though I am trilled with my finds, there was something that seemed like a great find that turned out to be, lets just say, unfortunate. Meet Meowsic:


This guy is a favorite of the little man's when we go to Target. He likes to take one off the shelf and play with it for a few minutes, then he puts it back and looks at something else. He loves this piano/musical cat and I did not find it too aggravating. The price at Target = $25.



The Goodwill price = $3.99.



What a deal! The little man was so happy! And it worked! We brought musical cat home and he started playing.



20 minutes later I learned why some stressed out Mom with a massive headache gladly donated Meowsic to the Goodwill in the first place.



When in the Target store, with the background noise and the short duration of play time, Meowsic is fine. Even charming.



When in my living room, Meowsic becomes an loud, obnoxious ally cat with numerous pre-programmed songs and sound effects that I can only describe as pure evil. This thing could be used as a torture device for the US military. The microphone is the worst part in that it statically amplifies little mans voice along with the creepy digital rendition of Oh Susanna.



And just when I thought I had heard it all, these lyrics to the tune of Skip to my Lou, filled my home:



Where’s our gerbil?
I haven’t got a clue
Where’s our gerbil?
I haven’t got a clue
Where’s our gerbil?
I haven’t got a clue
The big black cat was hungry




Meowsic kitty piano is now in the laundry room closet.



All Goodwill finds, even though they may seem like it at the time, are not always the gems you think they are.

3 comments:

  1. Hey. Visiting from the Homestead Barn Hop.
    What great deals you got! We thrift too and couldn't see any other way, even if we had a ton of money. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You did get some great finds! I love to shop at Goodwill and thrift stores-especially for books! Maybe you can put the Meow thing up until spring and then it can a "back porch toy" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What good finds, love the kitchen tool set! My mom thrifts all of the time, and gets amazing deals. We don't have a shop in our small town, but I would love to drive into town to do some treasure hunting some time. Sounds like a fun shopping trip :)

    ReplyDelete