Tuesday, November 8

Wood Stove Installation, Part 1

This past weekend we installed the chimney for the new wood burning stove.

It was a great weekend for working outdoors, and since the majority of the pipe needed to be installed outside, we tried to get the whole project done in the course of two days. If we knew what we were doing, it might have only taken 1 day, but we didn't so it took two.

We decided to do the work ourselves since the cost of hiring a contractor was running into the $4,000 range. Roy spent last week searching Tractor Supply for pipe parts and ordering online what he could not find in the store. We ended up with a ton of shiny piping for the outside and black piping for the inside, to match the stove.

We positioned the stove on the hearth and made sure the measurements were correct in distance from the wall to pass the code inspection. It ended up being a little closer to the edge of the hearth than I would have liked but it was necessary. We also have to put down some ceramic tile around the front of the hearth to extend out about 16 feet. I think this is going to look horrible and I do not want to put any grout and tile on the my hardwoods, but according to the inspector, it is necessary.

It seems like there are a lot of specifics that just make the job more annoying, time consuming, expensive, and not as aesthetically pleasing.

We started on Saturday morning and I was quickly relegated to baby care since I know next to nothing about chimneys. I was actually happy with this since the job went from an exciting cry of "lets install our chimney installed so we can heat with wood and be more self sufficient!" to "Why won't this dumb pipe fit!? I know I got the right parts! Wow - our roof is really high! This is going to take a lot longer than I thought!"

The cats were very interested in the process - more specifically, the boxes and all the things they could try and get themselves stuck in:



Prince is big on boxes, while Cheese wanted to try and get inside the actual stove.



She gave up and settled for observing and supervising from her nice new perch.


The process was slow and quite dusty - cutting the 18 inch hole in the side of the house was more of a problem than we thought since their was a stud right where we needed to go. With all the mis-matched additions and remodels done to our old farmhouse over the years before we lived here, people just kind of put things where ever they wanted inside the walls. This poses a problem on just about every house project we undertake.


The end of Saturday resulted in the hole being cut, the pipe that goes through the hole being installed and the first section of outside pipe being installed on the side of the house.


The inside pipe did not work out at all and it turns out that we need a different connector. This lead to more frustration and some foul language.


I did find a little humor in the sticker on the Snap-Lock section: "Do not use this chimney connector as a chimney."

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I guess if I had scrolled down I would have answered my own question that I just commented on your previous post. :) 16 feet of ceramic tile seems like a lot. We have a pad of tile about 6" x 3" under the front of our stove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say 16 inches of tile, not 16 feet. Sorry, I am not getting any sleep since the baby came.

    ReplyDelete