Tuesday, October 4

Putting on My Blinders and The Comic Relief



With the new baby coming in less than a week, I am starting to feel a little overwhelmed. Ok, I am totally freaking out and having massive panic attacks.

How am I supposed to care for a newborn and a very energetic 2 1/2 year old at the same time. First off, any advice on how not to neglect my little man would be appreciated.

Secondly, how am I supposed to keep the house clean, the chores done, the animals cared for and accomplish all those little homesteading goals I have set, while keeping my sanity and not forgetting the baby in the shopping cart at Wegmans?

I am greatly relaying on my new "blinders" in that I have tunnel vision on what the top priorities are - care of children, minimum fussing over spilled milk - literally, and not trying to have the perfect home and garden when I know I will not have time and just stress myself out in the process.

No one is going to care if my house is not spotless for a few years. They might notice if my kids are not diapered and clean.

And I must not forget to add my comic relief. The little man has this ability to be 100% infuriating one minute and then 100% charming and adorable the next. He can always make me laugh and forget whatever housecleaning or lawn mowing catastrophe was weighing me down the moment before.

Example:

He walks up to me and starts whacking my leg with a big plastic spoon from his play kitchen set and as he is whacking my leg, quite forcefully i might add, he is saying "Sorry Mommy" before each hit.

He will wake me up in the middle of the night, yelling from his room "Mommy, wake up now!" And just when I am ready to pitch a fit in his direction, he were sweetly announces "I love you, Mommy."

He is also very helpful, mostly, and loves to assist with the housework. So much so that my Dad has started referring to him as a "little house-frau." His favorites are vacuuming and putting laundry in the washer.

So, between my blinders, my helper and my massive attempts to get everything organized in less than a week, I think I will make it. There may be a lack of posting for a couple of weeks - I hope you understand.

Stay with me! I'll need all the help I can get!

1 comment:

  1. Great post....who cares if you house it not clean...it will be one day when you and dh are grandparents and alone...those days come quickly.

    Who cares if things slide...they won't when you children are school age...it comes soon enough.

    Who cares about all the above things you wrote...one day it won't matter. But today and those precious years of training...loving...and raising the next generation...that will matter.

    You will be an amazing mom...you already are...so sit back..and just enjoy...regardless if your laundry is mutating or no.

    This coming from a mom of seven...preaching to myself....the years they go so quickly...and I have no idea how much laundry I did...how many days my house was a mess. But my children sure remember all those days of sitting and having tea by the fire...the hours we did reading together....and yes, even those many hours we worked together to clean the house before company came over.

    You will do fine...you will be great...and if you're not...your children won't care...and that is what matters the most...Family..and LOVE.

    ReplyDelete