Friday, October 7

Next Year...



Many factors have contributed to this years poor garden performance. Most notably, the caretaker of the garden could not pull her weight, literally. I still do not know how those pioneer women did it.

Next year will be different. Not in that I will have a grand plan of action filled with soil testing, compost tilling and sky-high tomato trellises, but that I will have cut back significantly.

Admitting that I can not do everything has been hard for me and my obsessive/compulsive ways. When I started all this homesteading, I wanted to do it all - from making my own laundry soap to canning the best peaches ever tasted - and everything in between. I wanted to be totally self-sufficient, or at least be on my way there.

And although we are so much more better off now with what we can do, I have admitted to myself that it is going to be a longer road than I thought.

With my second child due in a few days, I have had to prioritize every aspect of life here. What needs to be done, what I want to do and what can or has to wait. Results of budgets, time constraints and the like have made this decision necessary.

But it is not a bad thing. I have been prioritising everything from house to yard to animals to gardens to crafts. What I need to do will be done first, then what i want to do and have time for.

Next years garden will be different.

First, I am only going to grow what I know we will eat in amounts that will not leave us burdened with over production. I may not grow as much to can next year but I will provide a great deal of nutritious, chemical free food for as many months as I can. I sticking with what we really like - potatoes, corn, peas, beans and a few tomatoes. maybe a couple hot peppers, but definitely plenty of hills pf pumpkins.

I am going to let half of my garden go back to field next year in an effort to rebuild the soil on the east end which has proven to need a little break. However, i am going to have Roy till an addition onto the newest garden, where things seem to grow great. I will still have plenty of space.

I am also going to use part of the garden for medicinal herbs and flowers next year. I am looking into Calendula, Chamomile, Echinacea, Lavender and Lemon Balm.

If nothing else, it will be pretty to look at.

And second, I need to decide which aspects of homesteading are important to me and that fit into the time I have available. Don't worry, I am not going to start washing whites on "Hot" and eating Twizzlers for breakfast. I am still going to do as much as I can to keep up the kind of sustainable lifestyle I have come to love.

I'll keep you posted.....

No comments:

Post a Comment