Friday, September 9

Noise Pollution in my Bedroom



Why did I lay in bed last night listening not to the sounds of crickets but to the sounds of police /and/or fire sirens?

This is not a rhetorical question - my house was not on fire and I was not being robbed.

It is a real question. I thought by putting myself in debt for the rest of my foreseeable future that i had managed to move from a busy, congested and loud area to a quiet country road. And that my two acres would more than swallow any noise pollution that was headed toward my bedroom window.

Six years ago that was pretty much true. But I have noticed in the past couple of years that things have gotten louder. Neighbors with kids who play music too loud and drive too fast. The man who lives on the next road over that went through a mid-life-crisis and thought buying a Harley Davidson would be the ultimate solution to his problem. The new dogs at the house with the bright yellow siding that bark constantly, not even stopping to eat, it seems. (I love dogs but, ok, please given them whatever they are asking for).

And we now have a housing development going up at the end of our road, across the main road. Not only has this been a huge battle with the town vs. the neighbors, but it has also noticeably increased traffic on our road - and they haven't even started building one house yet. I have dump trucks using our road as a "short cut" to where ever they are going, or coming from. Construction equipment can be heard digging and banging and bulldozing trees at all hours and I can not tell you how depressing it is to drive down to the main road and have to stare at ripped up trees and earth with rather large men smoking by the No Trespassing sign.

Right now as I type this I can hear someone mowing their lawn, hammering on some sort of metal down the street and the beep-beep-beep of a truck backing up.

Granted, it could be much worse but I am paranoid about my "quiet." I don't want to hear anything but birds and bugs and my chickens when I am out in the yard.

Am I making a big deal out of nothing? Is my number one annoyance not something to get so worked up about?

Noise pollution is excessive, displeasing human, animal or machine-created environmental noise (the summary of noise from transport, industrial and recreational activities) that disrupts the activity or balance of human or animal life. The word noise comes from the Latin word nauseas, meaning seasickness.

"disrupts the activity or balance of human or animal life" - that is exactly what it feels like. Like I am being knocked off balance when the guy 'guns' his Harley right in front of my house. That's probably why I also hate fireworks and why I moved my hamster cage to the far end of my parents house at age 16 to get him away from my little brothers new love of bass music.

I want my balance back.

1 comment:

  1. We're out in the country, on a ridge top off a gravel road, the sort that until a couple of years ago was also off a gravel road which was off a letter highway. At first it was dead quiet and dark, you could see the stars go on forever, but as you get used to real quiet, not the roar of the six lane highway less than a quarter mile from your house, you start hearing more and more, the noise that had once blended into the background. Now we can hear the silo drier fans start up humming along in the early morning, the chug chug of tractors,the whistles of freight trains that run through the night, periodic gun fire as hunters prep themselves for the upcoming season and the hounds barking across the valley. Put best in an old time radio show, "country dogs talk'n trash". So sorry about the motorcycle, perhaps a response to the ever rising gas prices since it probably gets much better mileage.

    ReplyDelete