Saturday, July 16

Home-Grown Hanging Baskets




Hanging baskets are too expensive.

There. I said it.

I know that they are, at garden places, prices according to the amount of work that went into producing them, which is totally fair. And for people that want to pay $20 to $40 per basket, that is totally fine with me.

I can not afford to pay these prices out of my household budget. And the baskets at discount stores are much less expensive, but they are not the full and vibrant baskets I am looking for.

Solution: grow my own.




This year was my first year doing this and I started with starting some red and yellow Nasturtium in the basement along with the tomatoes. I was hoping it would work and I could produce full and pretty hanging baskets for my front porch, but I just wasn't sure.

The result was a mixed bag - it worked and they are full, but they could be better. I used a light-weight potting soil so the baskets would not be too heavy and I made sure that i had good 'trays' so that I would not just be pouring water right through the roots and onto the porch.

Bottom line is I saved money, I have hanging baskets, and I am going to try again next season.

Does anyone have any suggestions for flowers that fill in fast and 'cascade' over the sides of the basket?

No comments:

Post a Comment