Sunday, July 3

Garden Update

We ate our first peas from the garden the other day. Sweet and delicious. The little guy had me shuck them and hand them over right in the garden so he could eat. "I want peas! I want peas!" Is this music to a mother's ears or what?

Although rather weedy, the garden is doing well over all. The tomatoes are going crazy and I am having a hard time keeping them in their cages.



I opted to use the old cages, that I swore I would get rid of last year, due to budget concerns and just the lack of an idea for a better staking system at the present time. I did place the plants further apart from each other and with wider rows so I am hoping this will limit the amount of the 'falling over onto each other' that happened last year. As you can see from the photo, the cages have seen better days but I am trying to make do. Please ignore the weeds and the plastic child's play thing.

I also have nice white blossoms on my potato plants which look so nice next to the daisy's that I have yet to weed out of the rows. I just can't bring myself to consider a daisy a weed, even if it is growing too close to the potatoes for comfort. I plan to pick them, stick them in a mason jar on the kitchen table and then send the roots the way of the side field where they can come back and spread all they want.



You can also see the the above photo the consequences of cutting back. I am referring to the 'cucumber trellis on a budget' example in the rear of the photo. Yep - that's left over green plastic fencing from the peas and beans - giving a little shade and a future climbing apparatus to my little cukes. I have found that this also protects them from the deer that have been using my garden as their own personal salad bar.

The peas are doing very well and they have been the only thing, short of the strawberries, that we have been able to eat so far this season. I did however have a poor germination rate with the peas, and even worse with the beans. I replanted the bare spots in the rows, which pretty much meant I replanted all of the Mayflower beans and the Cherokee Trail of Tears beans. I am slightly disappointed since the company from which I order the seeds has always proved to have a good germination rate.



My zucchini have exploded and I have no doubt that I will have more than I could ever use again this year even though I only planted two seedlings. And the onions are looking good despite the rocky soil. The tomatoes should be next and I am looking forward to sending fresh cherry tomatoes to work in Roy's lunch bag. I have a goal this year that I will send as many lunches as possible that are made up of things that came right from our own property. This means lots of salads and mostly a vegetarian diet through September.

No comments:

Post a Comment