Tuesday, May 17

What Is The Facination?

I guess I just don't get it. What is the fascination with the neighbors outdoor cat?

Is it because my cats are all indoor cats and they are amazed that a cat is allowed to wander free? Are they jealous? Mad at me? Do they think he does not have a home?

The little guys fascination is just curiosity in that he loves kitties and anything new is exciting.

The black cat is Bear and he lives across the road. He likes to explore all areas of the neighboring properties and seems to have a great time hunting chipmunks under the dining room window. He is a beautiful cat, but not very friendly. All attempts to pet him have failed miserably.



Given that he has this type of freedom, I have been questioning my decision to keep indoor cats. I know two out of the three would love to be "let loose". The third, Buffin, wouldn't want to go outside if the house was on fire. He is perfectly content to spend most of his days lounging on my bed with is big stuffed bear.

I feel like I am taking something away from them and that they should be allowed all the freedoms other cats have. But they have been indoor cats since they were born and I just don't know if they would know what to do with their newly found freedom/. Would they come back? Would they know how to come home if they wandered too far away?

They have no fear of cars or the road since they have never experienced them. The only thing I can say is that Prince has an intense hatred of riding in a car.

And we have coyotes and a few feral cats and if I woke one morning to find one of my babies in distress, or worse, I don't think I could ever forgive myself.

OK, am I being selfish here? Over-protective? Or am I being a good "mom"?

2 comments:

  1. We have a fenced in backyard and let ours out there. We had let a couple of the older ones loose when we lived out in the country but it really shortens their lives to be outside roaming and they can get into trouble so easily. You could make a little enclosed run for them so that they could be outside but protected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a good mom is my opinion. Mine is also indoors and watches the outdoor cats with intensity. I think it's animal instinct {and if it's not, it makes a good story}. She acts as though she would love to go outside, but she accidentally got out once and was scared out of her mind. She enjoys her princess bed too much - I couldn't bear to have anything happen to her.
    Staci

    ReplyDelete