Monday, May 16

Planting Time



Last week I headed out to the gardens with my seeds and onion bulbs and cut up potato pieces to put in what I hope to be a well-producing vegetable garden.

Rain delays and tilling delays and more rain delays led me to put off planting but the weather had finally cooperated and I wanted to get it done.

The last tilling we had done was when the ground was still a little wet but due to time constraints, it had be done that day. This resulted in the soil being very clumpy and hard which proved to be an interesting planting challenge.

I could have done better with a jack hammer and a pick ax. It was like trying to plant peas in lava rock.

My concept of short running, north to south rows this season will hopefully prove useful. I will have a two and a half year old and I will also be 7 months pregnant when weeding time comes around. It will be nice, when crouched down in between rows of Mayflower beans and roma tomatoes, to be able to see the light at the end of the row.

So far we have put in yellow potatoes, peas, white onions and three kinds of beans - purple podded pole, mayflower and Cherokee trail of tears (all three purchased from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, where we order from every year).

The weather of last week held out and we had a few nice dry and sunny days. However today when I look out the window I might as well be living in the Pacific Northwest. No offense to those in that area - from what I have seen online, it is beautiful. I just imagine it to be very misty there.

And this is supposed to keep up all week long. Lots of water for the beans but not so great for my basement.

1 comment:

  1. I've been on a planting spree as well. I haven't braved beans yet as I'm afraid our night temp.s may be too cold still. I've planted cabbage, spinach, romaine and iceburg lettuce, potatoes, peas, sugar snap peas, and squash. We have rocks - LOTS of rocks, which also feels like planting in lava (well, what I imagine it feels like as I've never attempted that). Can't imagine caring for a garden at 7 months pregnant AND chasing after a 2-year old. You will be exhausted!!
    Here's to hoping you see sun soon!
    Staci

    ReplyDelete