Saturday, March 12

Drunk Pedestrians and Loose Chickens

This title pretty much sums up my day today. I know it sounds like a Monday morning headline from a college newspaper but it was not as exciting as it sounds.

This was my day: Still suffering the effects of all-day morning sickness, I decided to suck it up and take the little man to the St. Patrick's Day parade downtown. I rarely go downtown for many reasons, most of them being that it is just that - the city. Or what the little man likes to call "the 'ucky city." But I really wanted him to go see the parade since he is now old enough to enjoy it. The weather was chilly but still ok for parade watching and the rain held off until the very end. So, there is one plus.

We got great parking and we met up with family on our usual St. Patrick's parade watching corner. Lots of young drunk people and lots of families with little kids and lots of teens trying to look "cool" while hanging out with their families. But it was a lot of fun and I did my best not to throw up. I was afraid I would be arrested for public intoxication rather than being an 8 week pregnant lady who looked like she just rolled out of bed.

The parade was great - lots of bagpipes and irish dancers and fire trucks. The little guy loved it all and Roy, my brother in law and a family friends also had a great time with Keystone Ice. Yuck. But another plus.



The highlight of my day was when the 1180 WHAM vehicle went by and I saw Bob Lonsberry and his family waving to parade watchers. He is my favorite radio talk host and I have never seen him in person before. "He really IS real!!!!!" See picture below for proof:




The parade ended and that is where the fun stopped. Literally. It started raining pretty hard and even though we had great parking it took forever to get anywhere from all the traffic. Police officers had taken over intersections and were directing traffic to help ease the congestion.

I was stopped at an intersection waiting to turn right and the officer motioned for the other direction of traffic to stop and for me to go. I noticed two guys standing on the corner next to my car and the officer told them to wait before crossing so all the traffic could get out.

One of guys was so drunk that we was oblivious to the officers instructions and decided to cross anyway. He walked right into the side of my moving car and fell over. Of course, we stopped and the next 45 minutes was spent giving police reports and standing in the rain. The little guy was great for the whole thing and had no clue what was going on. The officer was yelling at this drunk idiot the whole time.

We finally were able to go and after dropping Roy and our friend off at a restaurant for some food, I took the little guy home. I have never wanted to get home and go to bed more in my life.

As I was carrying a very tired toddler into the house I saw a chicken staring at me. They were loose in the yard.

So after the little guy was in bed, and had to catch 18 chickens who absolutely did not want to go back in their coop. It was raining and muddy and I was running out of bread scraps.

Another 45 minutes later and chickens were secure, the little guy was sleeping and I was crashed on the couch determined not to move for the rest of the evening.

Lessons for the day:
1. Make sure chickens are secure before leaving the house.
2. Thoroughly evaluate the pro's and con's of going to the city for ANYTHING.
3. Always watch out for drunk people and/or buy bumpers for car.
4. Do not leave the house without at least foundation on even if you feel like absolute crap - someone will always be taking pictures for something.
5. Some days you should really just stay home.

1 comment:

  1. Very funny post. Nice lessons learned!! Glad you came across my blog so I, in turn, could find you. Looks like we've both got the same mission in mind. Can't wait to share adventures. We're thinking of delving in beekeeping this year....dear god, that may be something!
    Have a great rest of the week.
    Staci

    ReplyDelete