Wednesday, March 30

Confessions of a Vacuum Packing Addict



We buy about half of our food in bulk, to save money and time. Things like chicken, carrots, cereals, spaghetti sauce - things we go through a lot of and that we like. When I find a good deal, I stock up. And we hit the "buy-in-bulk" store about once a month to load up on veggies (in the off season) household necessities and chicken. But no matter how lovingly you stack your carrots in the fridge or how carefully you wrap your meat, spoiling and freezer burn happen.

And that wastes money.

So I vacuum pack stuff. This serves two purposes: first, it keeps things fresh, longer. And second, Roy is on this ridiculously low calorie diet and he insists on taking his lunch to work every day. He must have a certain amount of veggies, meat, etc., and this vacuum packing lets me make the packages as large or as small as I want them. So our freezer is now full of 1 1/2 cup serving size pouches of carrots, peas, broccoli, and corn. This makes it easier for me to pack him lunch when I am dead tired at night and just want to go to bed. It is also a fast and easy way to prepare a quick, healthy meal: I just take out a few pouches, open them up, pour the contents into a glass, microwave-safe bowl and in a few minutes we have vegetable side dishes.

I do have to admit this this is all not just for saving time and money. I love using the vacuum seal machine. It is just fun - I can accomplish something in a matter of minutes. I like that feeling. I packed carrots and peas today during a rare burst of energy. Could the morning sickness be showing signs of weakening? I sure hope so. For someone who is used to being eye-deep in house and yard projects, this time of having only enough energy to do a load of laundry is quite depressing.

I will chalk up today as a productive day and feel good about it. Roy has enough perfectly portioned pouches to last a couple of weeks and I don't have to worry about the 5 lbs of carrots growing roots in the veggie draw of my fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment