Sunday, February 13

survival seed bank


I keep hearing this commercial on the radio for Survival Seed Bank. Although I think this is a great idea, I am wondering why they chose to present it the way they did.

The commercial sounds like a call-to-arms for the crazies who think the world will end in 2012. They use words like catastrophe, crisis, and meltdown told to us by a severely over-emphasising narrator.

Of course, we all know that it is a good idea to have a back up plan. Preserving food, saving seeds, stocking up on non-perishables. Or in Glenn Becks case, an underground mountain hideout filled with gold bars. (Sorry Glenn, I used to listen until you had that 'awakening' or whatever and now you kind of scare me).

We have a back up plan here and we are by no means thinking the world will end shortly. I have no worries about people with machine guns coming down my road and I like to think i know enough about gardening and preserving to take care of my family if it really did come to that.

I don't like how they presented the commercial because it makes us all out to be nuts. People will hear it, think about a generalization (farmers, homesteaders, 'green' people) and then conclude that we are all a bunch of crazies scared that the sky is falling. And that will make them not want to look into survival seeds. They should have aimed for a broader audience but being a little more calm, a little more non-apocalyptic and just stating some common sense.

It's good to have a plan. It's good to be prepared. The more you can do for yourself, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment