Friday, February 11

Graywater Suggestions



Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can re-use waste water, or graywater? I tend to waste a lot when it comes to rinsing dishes and waiting for the hot to get to the upstairs bathroom.

I don't want to have buckets of water sitting around the house waiting for use but I also hate to see all that cold water go down the drain just waiting for hot water. I have a lot of plants but the amount of times I have waste water is more than they require.

Our water bill, although lower than average homes, is still high. Especially in summer when droughts cause extra watering of the gardens. Lowering our dependency on the water company make sense to me. So lowering the bill is something I really want to work on.

I found a few good ideas online when it comes to kitchen work. First, I will switch to using the second side of my double-basin kitchen sink for holding rinse water and then setting the dishes to dry on a rack on the counter. Right now I use the double-basin second side for holding the drying rack, so i am constantly turning the water off and on to rinse things.

I am also going to do the same thing with rinsing and cleaning eggs and vegetables. Instead of rinsing under a running faucet, I will fill up the sink a little bit with water and give the eggs and veggies a quick bath.

I think these two things will help control my kitchen graywater, but I am not sure about what to do with the bathroom.

Who out there re-uses their graywater? How do you collect it, what do you use it for?

Also, I have been seriously thinking about getting some rain water collection barrels for use in watering the vegetable gardens this summer. Does anyone have any good or bad experience with these?

No comments:

Post a Comment