Wednesday, February 16

Book Reports



I have finished 4 books recently but I find it hard to review WWII books. It is a subject that I am interested in and if, when I am reading through, I find something that stands out, I will mention it. But mostly, I read them to learn more about our past. That said, I have recently finished The Dentist of Auschwitz: A Memoir by Benjamin Jacobs, and The Secret Holocaust Diaries: The Untold Story of Nonna Bannister by Nonna Bannister. Both were about the holocaust and both fell on the wide spectrum of inspiring, dreadful, heroic, historical and painful.

Another book I started reading was Arctic Homestead: The True Story of One Family's Survival and Courage in the Alaskan Wilds by Norma Cobb. Normally, this would be the type of book that I would not be able to put down. However, for some reason I could not get through the first couple of chapters. Maybe it was the practical side of me saying "how can you even think about going THAT FAR with really, really young kids?!?!" Or maybe I could not get past how the husband was depicted - one of those guys who does what he wants, doesn't think about it much and drags whoever is near him along for the ride. I am sure that they had a fantastic adventure but I just could not get into this one.

Finally, I pick up Chick Days: Raising Chickens from Hatchlings to Laying Hens by Jenna Woginrich. One of the favorite authors writing about one of my favorite subjects. I loved this book from beginning to end. I wish that it had been around when we brought our 12 golden comets home from Tractor Supply last spring. It is straight forward, informative, amusing and a great read. How can a how-to book on poultry be a good read, you ask? It's not just the cut and dry essentials (which are there, but they are definately not dry!), it is the stories that are added in on the Cold Antler Farm segments, the Chick Diary pages and the beautiful photography and layout. I liked how this book looked and how it felt in my hands. It had substance, both in the words and in the presentation.

The section entitled "First Things First: Why chickens?" was very interesting in that there is alot of good, solid information about our food. I also learned alot more about the girls in general, from eating habits to how to clean the eggs properly. I could have gone through the thick chicekn raising book I have here and read the most irrelevant information for hours without finding the answer that I needed. This book is the total opposite. It gives all the info you need, the is easy to understand, and it is entertaining. Thanks Jenna!

No comments:

Post a Comment