Sunday, January 2

Mitten/Orange Mentality

I have been knitting like crazy here for the past few months, making Christmas socks and socks for me. Yes, I am obsessed with knitting socks. Since I figures out how I can not stop - knit 2, purl 2, eye of partridge, turn that heel!



So much so that my right thumb and index finger are chapped and cracked. Ouch!



Oh, the pains of homesteading.....



The people I gave socks to all loved them but i can not help but wonder about the general mentality of receiving home made gifts. When i was a kid, getting a home made gift was kind of like getting cheated out of a real gift. There was disappointment there. Now I know better, or course, and home made gifts are the best kind. But are we too entrenched in store bought that we can't go back to having home made mean more?

I always think about the episode of Little House where they are celebrating Christmas in their little sod house and the girls got mittens that Ma made. I thought to myself, "That is so cool and it would be so much fun to celebrate Christmas like that." But a small part of me kind of felt sorry for them. Maybe that is not the right way to say it. In fact, i am really not sure how to put it into words. I think that I, as well as most people, take for granted that we can go to the store and buy numerous, expensive Christmas gifts. Reading Christmas stories from the early 1900's tells us that getting an orange in your stocking was the biggest treat ever. When I heard those stories as a kid, I just couldn't understand why.

Are we too far gone? Can we get that mitten/orange mentality back? Will our children, or our generation for that matter, be able to look at home made gifts in the way they should be? Or will there always be that little feeling of disappointment?

1 comment:

  1. I feel the exact same way.

    I don't glorify poverty. And I know those books, even though based on her life, are idealized fiction.

    But I still feel the way you do. I reread the Little House books in 2008 when I was unhappy in my job and wanted to get back in a place where I felt a rush over small things rather than feeling unsatisfied by larger/more things.

    Thanks for this good post!

    ReplyDelete