Sunday, January 30

Homemade Pizza

When I was little and I would say "Mom, what are we having for dinner?", she would sometimes say "pizza." My immediate thoughts were ones of joyful bliss as I pictured the big flat grease stained box and 2 liters of soda from the local pizza place.



I was a kid. That's what I got joyful over.



Turns out, more often than not, the pizza in question was not made by the high school staff at the shop but by my Mom in our kitchen. Home made pizza. A little kids nightmare.



In my efforts to spare my son some of my devastation, I have tried to make my version of home made pizza as joyful as possible. And i think I have come up with a winner.



I make the dough about a half hour before it's time to put the pizza in the oven. I mix about 1 cup of organic white flour with 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast, 2 tablespoons cooking oil and 1 cup of really hot water. I mix this all together in a frenzy for about 2 minutes until things look like vanilla cake batter. Then I gradually add flour until it is the consistency I want. Not too dry but not sticky.



I leave the dough in the bowl and knead or mix it with my hands (clean hands in case any of you ever come to dinner on pizza night), and cover the bowl with a kitchen towel, also clean. Then it goes on top of the pellet stove for about 15 minutes. It gets some height, but it is not a mountain of dough.



I spray a cookie sheet and press out the dough to the four corners. Add our favorite pasta sauce, which we will hopefully can for ourselves next summer, and some shredded, low fat mozzarella cheese. i have yet to try any of the cheese from the organic section but it will go on the shopping list when there is a little extra in the budget.



Bake at 375 for about 15-20 minutes. I like the take it out right fore the cheese starts to get crispy. I hate crispy cheese.



And there you have it. Home made pizza that will, hopefully, not send your kids into a deep depression.

No comments:

Post a Comment