Monday, January 10

An American Hero



Dick Winters, a decorated Army officer whose World War II service was recounted in the best-selling book and HBO mini-series "Band of Brothers," died January 2, 2001 at age 92.

I have always held Richard Winters from the Band of Brothers series and books in high regard since I first heard about him and his men. His strength, intelligence and humility were qualities that I greatly admired. Somehow I just thought he would live forever. He was larger than life to me even though he was so well grounded and humble about his accomplishments.

I am sad today, not just for Major Winters and his family, but because we as a society are losing our Greatest Generation. I know that phrase gets used a lot and I know that their generation had its problems just like every other generation, but there was just something special about that time for me.


As my son grows up I want to present him with examples of bravery, honor and integrity. Major Winters will be one of those men.

I think, from what I have read, that Dick Winters was not out to become a great man. He was a man who was put into situations which required extraordinary action. He rose to that requirement and I think that is what made him a great man.

After landing behind enemy lines in Normandy on D-Day, he fought hard and lead his men and made it through. "That night, I took time to thank God for seeing me through that day of days and prayed I would make it through D plus 1. And if, somehow, I managed to get home again, I promised God and myself that I would find a quiet piece of land someplace and spend the rest of my life in peace."

Regardless of all of humankind's vast differences, isn't that what we all want? A life of quiet and peace?

We have lost a great man - a leader, a hero, a modest and humble individual who's actions have so much to teach our generation and future ones.

An American Hero

Richard Winters Obituary

No comments:

Post a Comment