Thursday, December 2

Crock Pot or Grass?


I have never hidden the fact that I have mixed feelings about hunting season, and hunting in general.

I see it as two sides - one of hunting for food and one of hunting for sport.

You can probably guess which one I am against. I don't think it is right to hunt any animal for sport. It is cruel and unnecessary. I am glad to say that I do not know anyone, personally, who does this. But I know it is done.

I do however, know a lot of people who hunt for food. My neighbors down the street are big hunters and recently I have seen deer hanging in their garage (why is it that deer are hung in what appears to be such a heartless manner?) We grew up eating venison that my father got every year. He enjoys hunting and looks forward to opening day every time it rolls around, but he does not see it as a sport. He sees it as providing for the family and doing something that he has done since he was old enough to shoot.

So far this season he has been unlucky. A housing development going up behind their property has greatly reduced the hunting area and he has had no luck at my Grandparents farm as well. My Grandfather however, was able to shoot an 8 point buck on the farm.

So last week, I was faced with a dilemma. The little guy and I were over at my parents house for dinner. Dad had just come back in from hunting - he literally just took off his bright orange and put his gun in the bedroom for safety. I sat down at the table, looked out the french door to the back yard and a big buck was staring at me from under the walnut tree. Just standing there, looking at me.

I said "Um, Dad, there is a big buck standing in the back yard." For a second he didn't believe me but he walked over to the door anyway and saw it. "My gun is in the bedroom so the little guy can't get it!"

"Well, go get it! Quick!" I said, and Mom and I took the little guy into the other bedroom so he wouldn't see anything. Dad got his gun but by the time he got outside the buck had walked down the gully and there was no good shot. And it was starting to get dark.

My dilemma was in saying something or not. I debated saying something when I first saw him - do I tell my Dad about the deer waiting patiently in the backyard to become this winters crock pot meals or do I let him spend another season munching grass? It ended up that no deer was shot that night in the back yard, which i am secretly glad for.

Why does one of the top five homesteading necessities make me feel so much like an accomplice to murder? I know it is how things are done, and the way most people hunt and kill deer is a world better than how most of our supermarket meat is processed. Is it that our society has moved away from this type of food acquisition and it somehow seems wrong now? Because we humanize our pets and forest animals with names and little doggie coats? Any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know but that is definitely something I also struggle with.

    I also don't really like it when hunters have all these fancy tools like scopes or whatever because it seems so unfair to me, like the animal has no chance.

    But I also agree that it's loads better than how supermarket meat comes to us.

    Such a dilemma.

    ReplyDelete