Friday, November 12

Laptops and knitted socks



As if I did not realize it before with the occasional loss of service, I am absolutely, sinfully, yet apologetically addicted to my laptop.




This past week has been a challenge for me, given the broken state of my HP baby. The result of the actual baby/toddler deciding to launch it off the end table. It will be sent to HP repair land as soon as the shipping box arrives since it is still under warranty. Until then it waits, on the desk. It has not been turned off this long since, well, ever.




I have been sneaking my husbands laptop, and even though he says I can use it, I still feel sneaky and a little like I am cheating on my HP with this strange Asus with 'clicky' keys. I could only use it for about a day and a half before I just felt too guilty.




Then, a friend to the rescue. I am now typing on a borrowed mini-HP laptop and I have to say it is quite nice. Tiny, yes, and it did take a little bit to get used to the smaller keyboard, but I have cured my withdrawl until my baby gets back from the shop.




I want to write a post about how I am so dependant and I shouldn't be, or that if I was true to homesteading I would not even own a laptop or even have an outlet to plug it into. That I should impose a time limit on surfing or not use Facebook, since virtual farming is just not 'homestead-ish'. Truth is, I am addicted to it. Something that did not even exist in my world until I was in college. I remember clearly a day when a friend asked me if I had used an Internet resource for a paper and I said "No, I will never use that thing."




I guess this is what the term 'modern homesteader' refers to, in part. Using the Internet for an information source, entertainment after the cable is cancelled, and keeping in touch with people. And, finding other people who share your thoughts on everything from chicken coop ventilation to how to knit a thumb on a mitten.




Can I combine the modern with the tried-and-true? Can I have bread raising on my pellet stove and solar energy pumping into the meter while I type this post on my borrowed mini-HP laptop? Can I wear my jeans bought at a chain store with the wool socks I knitted last month? (A note on wool socks - don't put them in the dryer.) Can I look out the living room window, past curtains I made with my own sewing machine, onto a field that holds the slight remnants of this past potato crop and turn up U2 on my ipod?




How much is too much? How far is too far, either way? I like to think I have a healthy balance here. Yes, I enjoy watching Burn Notice online and I will stare at the screen enjoying every explosion and witty one-liner. But I will be knitting while doing so and munching on an organic apple.

1 comment:

  1. First off, great photo of the dog, the woodstove, and the feet.

    I think what you're doing is choosing what's important to you. Would we really want to homestead as they did a hundred years go, without electricity or antibiotics?

    Last year, we tore up half our suburban yard and planted a garden. This afternoon we blanched the rhubarb and put 10 quarts in the freezer. Last month I bought three pairs of jeans on eBay; today I bought boots and long underwear at LLBean. I'm trying to shape my life around value, as I see it.

    I commend you for that.

    And I get it about guilt. I played Farmville for six months last year, quit for two, played for another four. In a virtual farm world, crops never fail and onions are always the same price at market and I can even control whether my animals move! But it was a haven for my brain. Eventually I decided I should probably be writing more and farming less. Still, I miss it from time to time.

    Glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete