Tuesday, November 9

Book Report




The second book was just as good, if not better than the first. I loved it! It was a fast read for me because I just couldn't put it down and I wanted to know what awsome project she would tackle next. I was treated to delicious descriptions like "Once at Birch Pond I surprised a hooded merganser. The male preened quietly amoung a flotilla of cow lilies. His pure white crest and chest flashed in the late-afternoon sun, and his sleek body looked like black lacquer against the green pads."
Cabin building, canoe mishaps, photography, writing and ecological observations make this book so interesting to read. A few bits about activism but not preachy. Acid rain effects on the Adirondacks and other polution situations are discussed also which leads her to "the realization I could not escape even in my wilderness cabin." She also has great concern for the forest and trees on her land - "It also grieves me every time I see discarded newspapers blowing down city streets or stacks of paper plates and cups in the garbage. These items were once trees. To have the forest I was sauntering through come to such an end would have been infinitely saddening."
"People need pieces and places of privacy more than ever before." Not only to momentarily escape from the threat of nuclear winter, but from polution, noise, technology, and from other people. I can totally relat to this one! Not that I am expecting a nuclear attack but escapting from the noise and interuptions of daily life is something I need. I envy her that she has this type of isolation - it sounds like pure heaven to me.
Even in 1987 when she wrote this book, she can see the complexity and materialistic ways of society. "It is my small rebellion to keep myself in pioneerlike fitness, to promote creativity, and to maintain a sense of adventure in my life. Simplicity is best." A great idea, this 'small rebellion'. Even if I can not have a cabin in the Adirondack wilderness, I can still grow food here, make my own electric, and knot socks. That is my personal little rebellion. Knowing that wehn I go into the grocery store, I can totally bypass the tomato rack.
"Since time immemorial species have made special adaptations. I think that each human should devise her or his special balance between determined action and quiet expectation. And he or she should live with the best of clean technology and natural simplicity." I think that because of her close observations around her Adirondack home, she was able to predict certain things. Not just the effects of acid rain on the lakes, but of the progression of society and the way people do things. She could see what was happening and the reprocussions in 1987. So in 201o, we should be living in a world that takes greater care, right? Well, maybe not. But clean technology and natural simplicity seem to be two ideas that trancend.

No comments:

Post a Comment