Thursday, November 11




The armistice that ended World War I was signed on November 11th, 1918, at the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month. We celebrate and remember all veterans today, Veterans Day.

My love of history makes today a special day for me, in that I look at our family tree and take note of all the people that have served and are currently serving. So many different people in so many types of situations: Great, great, great Grandpa Fred Mibaum in the Spanish American War, Grandpa Don O'Brien in Italy WWII, Uncle Glen O'Brien in Vietnam, Grandpa Green in the Pacific WWII, and Cousin John O'Brien currently on a ship somewhere....

Today is a history day for me - remembering all those who made my freedom possible. I can sit here on my couch with my son and expres my thoughts on this blog - no matter what they are - without fear. I can own land and grow my own food. I can vote. I live in a democracy, not perfect, but free.

I am going to be telling my son about all his relatives in the service today, and about all the freedoms we enjoy because of every veteran. He will not understand a word I am saying, of course, since he is only 21 months old. But I am going to tell him anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment