Tuesday, October 19

Book Report



Sleeping Naked is Green
by Vanessa Farquharson

A cheeky, sassy little book that I did think I would like after I started reading it.
But I did like it for the most part. Very informative and entertaining and she talks about green changes but also how they effected the people around her. She seems to be trying to answer the question "are we really making a difference?"

Also, I had no idea there was such a thing as vegan dental floss.

I really like her take on protesting - "the concept of activism provokes so much secondary embarrassment in me. I think of sandwich boards and poor grammar, unnecessary noise pollution in the form of yelling..." So true.

A good quote - "what's the point in learning the speed of train A coming from X as it approaches train B coming from Y that’s traveling at two thirds the speed carrying half as many people if, meanwhile, you have no clue how your bedroom is being heated and what happens to everything you flush down the toilet?" I hear people say 'out of sight, out of mind' which makes me think of people hurling paint half empty paint cans over the hill and pretending that the paint can fairy comes and cleans everything up. It just seems like people don't 'know' anything anymore. Book smart vs. street (or farm) smart.

She makes 366 green changes (1 for every day of the year, plus one since it was a leap year). Some are simple, some are hard, and some are kind of gross. I get a little squeamish when it comes to discussing delicate personal hygiene situations, and I really don't like hearing about other peoples tendencies. But most of the book was very entertaining. And she stuck with 271 (74%) of the green changes after the year was over. After all, "striving for absolute eco-perfectionism would only make me neurotic".

Green as a Thistle
Green Time
Treehugger
One Billion Bulbs

No comments:

Post a Comment