Friday, October 1

Book Report



No Impact Man
by Colin Beavan

A quick read and pretty good. Day to day struggles and solutions - just what I love in a good eco-book. Even the cool cardboard looking cover was a plus. (I am a tactile person).

Some political stuff, some tangents but mostly great and I recommend it. I do not think I would be able to do, or would ever want to do, all the things he does (and makes his wife and kid do), but I do have to admit that it was interesting to see that you actually CAN do all these things and not die of dysentery.

At one point he talks about "disengaging from the political process, deciding that it had lost its ability to change and act, which is why I struck out on a course of individual action." Aside from the fact that I have 99% disengaged from that same political crap, I don't know how effective the 'individual action' is on a whole. I have been back and forth with this idea of one person actually making a difference since we started our mission of sustainability and I have come to the conclusion that it is more about knowing that you did what you could. I just don’t like how it is paired with political junk, which makes the whole thing seem like a pointless protest of some sort.

All in all, a great read with some ideas that I might be trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment