Monday, October 4

Book Report - Can't Beleive I Read This One



Eat Pray Love
by Elizabeth Gilbert

I wouldn't normally pick up this book, and I didn't for a long time. Then I saw the Julia Roberts preview for the movie. Being a big Julia fan, and noticing that the trailer was about travel and just getting up and going, I decided that it might be something I would like after all. I have not yet seen the movie but I have read the book, and I actually really liked it.

I have never meditated and I don't think I will because I just can't get my mind to shut up for longer than about 20 seconds. I would go crazy thinking about all the things I could be getting done instead of sitting on the floor. And it would probably annoy all the metal in my back.

But I look at her, Elizabeth Gilbert's, picture on the back cover of the book and she looks so peaceful. She is smiling like she knows something I don't. Like she has found the secret of the universe and risen to a plain that I probably will never know. She looks as though she doesn't have a care in the world. But still has everything just so, so she will not worry about her bills but she won't lose her house either. Did all this blissful living come from meditation and self discovery? Now I am torn - should I sit on the floor for hours to get this bliss?

A part of the book I enjoyed was when she was in Italy and she was talking with a friend about the "word". In the book, "every city has a word that defines it, that identifies most people who live there. And if you’re personal word does not match the word of the city, then you don't really belong there." Examples: NYC=Achive,Los Angeles=Succeed, Stockholm=Conform. Of course, I had to stop reading and immediately try to think of what my word was. Not the word of the town I live in because, let’s be honest, I spend as much time as possible NOT in town. It was not as hard as I thought. I just came to me and it felt right. I could not think of a negative point that would apply. My word is 'quiet.' Does that say that I am not living in the right place? Noise is here even though we are on a back road and town is just a few minutes away. Should I be living in rural Maine?

A good quote from the book that i think everyone can use in some way: "you should never give yourself a chance to fall apart because, when you do, it becomes a tendency and it happens over and over again. You must practice staying strong, instead."

And another good quote "...admitting to the existence of negative thoughts, understanding where they came from and why they arrived, and then - with great forgiveness and fortitude, dismissing them." If only it was that easy. What a wonderful thing that would be. So organized and so planned and so in control. I would love to have my mind work like this. Example: I feel like I am going to have a massive panic attack, throw up and make everyone around me miserable. I feel this way because the heat is turned up to 100 degrees in the mall and it is horribly crowded because it is December 23rd. I forgive myself for feeling like a weak loser and maybe I will let myself throw up later just for fun, but for now I have to buy gifts for 12 people so please be dismissed, you horrible panic thoughts. How freaking cool would that be!

And how perfect is this: "The word paradise, which comes to us from the Persian, means literally "a walled garden." Paradise would be some placed walled for me, wouldn't it. No people, no interruptions, no noise. Just me lounging behind a big stone wall weeding my tomatoes. Ah, paradise.......

Good book, very interesting, kind of spacey with the self discovery stuff, but all-in-all, I really liked it. It makes you think about things but not so much that you get all philosophical and stuff. That would not be productive in before bed reading.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed her recent book on marriage, Committed. Less touchy-feely, more research. Great read!

    ReplyDelete