Tuesday, September 14

Monach Madness



I have seen more monarch butterflies this summer than I think I have ever seen in my life, combined. They are everywhere - in the yard, flying around us as we walk down the road, in store parking lots and loitering in neighbor’s fields by the dozens.

I counted 14 on my one butterfly bush the other day. 14, all on the bush. They are absolutely beautiful and I am constantly taking pictures of them.

The other day while the little guy was napping I looked out the back window and saw a ton of them flying around the butterfly bush and the garden next to it. It was a beautiful, sunny day so I grabbed my camera and started taking pictures. I took a few and then a light breeze came up and startled the sitting Monarchs. The air around me was filled with fluttering and I just stood there and let them all fly around me. I could hear the breeze and their wings beating. I could hear the bees buzzing around the anemone and the ladies clucking away in their enclosure. For a few minutes, all was right with the world.

Or at least my little part of it. Little things like this make me glad that I chose this kind of life.

But these monarchs still amaze me. Why is the population so high this summer? With the recent years of decline and concern about their population, I am hoping that is might be a little upswing. And I hope it is here to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment