Thursday, August 19

Canning - Round 2



I canned again the other day, when Mom was over to watch the baby. It is easier to concentrate and can when you don't have an 18th month old hanging on your leg.

I stopped at a stand and bought a big basket of peaches, since I like peaches and I knew I would eat them. I used a very easy recipe in You Can Can, and I think they turned out pretty well. A little hard to cut around the pit but pealing the skin was kind of fun. I ended up with three large jars of canned peaches. I thought I would get a little more given the amount of peaches I bought but I'll settle for three jars, well done.

I also made more pickles for Roy, using less dill seed this time because the first go with pickles called for many more seeds than I thought were necessary.

Lastly, I made salsa. We have a ton of tomatoes this season, along with jalapeno peppers. A good recipe was found in Preserving Summer's Bounty and I got to use my blender. There is something very therapeutic about using a blender. I get to 'destroy' stuff for a purpose. Jalapeno peppers, tomatoes, garlic, red pepper, cilantro, and few other odds and ends, and I ended up with some pretty impressive looking jars of chip dip.



So, this winter, we will be eating peaches and salsa by the pellet stove. Probably not at the same time, however, unless I get pregnant again.

I think I am getting the hang of this preserving thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment