Friday, August 20

Book Reports

I've been reading a lot lately, mostly before bed after the baby goes to sleep. The only thing about this is that I cannot read for very long before I fall asleep. This leads to a lot of re-reading.

However, here is my book report:

Woodswoman: Living Alone in the Adirondack Wilderness
by Anne LaBastille
Loved it! Details, details, details!! Just what I like in a homesteading book. How she did things, the lessons and tips she learned along the way, and very descriptive passages about the beautiful Adirondack region. Her life sounds like heaven to me. I highly recommend this book.


Farmer Boy
by Laura Ingalls Wilder and Garth Williams
I checked this out of the library and re-read it in preparation for Laura Ingalls Wilder Days at the GCVM a few weeks ago. Sadly I was not able to attend after all due to illness, but it is always a treat to pick up a Little House book.
One of the things I had kind of forgotten about was the food. That family eats - a lot. They make just about everything themselves and they seemed to eat very well. It just impresses me that there is so much available on your own farm.


Dog Days: Dispatches from Bedlam Farm
by Jon Katz
This book was a great read. Farms, animals and nature - everything I like to read about. Just a really nice true story that i could really get into. His observances of his farm animals, his dogs and of people and the world I found to be very interesting and thought provoking. Highly recommended!
A good quote: "... it is useful to be reminded that no matter how hard you work to create your own version of the world, the real one lies right outside the gates and sometimes crashes in."


Second Nature: A Gardener's Education
by Michael Pollan
Oh boy. I am sorry to say that this one did not agree with me. I could not concentrate on this book. My mind wandered while I was reading, and I was reminded of my college textbooks. Some parts were very entertaining but mostly, it was a very poetically written with sentences that you had to re-read in order to understand what he is talking about. Now, I can totally appreciate this, and I do enjoy this kind of writing. But only here and there, not a whole book.
I did like his quote about thinning seedling, however: "Triage is essential in the case of root crops."
I found that I had to read this book with a dictionary within reach. he likes big words that I, sadly, have never heard before. 'Multitudinous', 'Eponymous', 'Synecdoche', 'Accoutrements.'
Sorry, Mr. Pollan. I will try your other books in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment