Friday, July 30

For the Love of Carrots

There is something really wonderful about heading out to the garden and pulling a carrot. I don’t know what it is but I love it.

I planted carrots for the first time this season. I have always been scared of planting them because I just knew they would not grow. I didn't want to be disappointed because I really like carrots.

This year I thought "why not." So in a short row they went and I forgot about them. I told myself that they would not grow and that I should not get my hopes up.

But the garden has been surprising me this season. The tomatoes and giant bushes of green heirlooms, the zucchini and the cucumbers have produced way more than I thought they would, and even though the first round of peas is mostly finished off due to the recent heat, they gave us a ton of shelling opportunities. So when I decided to pull up a carrot to see what was happening under the ground, I was actually hopeful. The greens were tall, about 12 inches, and in all Bugs Bunny cartoons, his carrot always had about 12 inches of greens hanging off the end. And then, magically, I had a carrot. It was like a present - you can never tell what is growing since it is hidden. And like all presents, you want more of them.




Hint: Don't get carried away pulling carrots. They are not all ready at the same time. I pulled a few baby carrots in my Christmas haste.

There is something just so absolutely satisfying about pulling a carrot out of the ground.

And apparently, sometimes they come in pairs. I could not bring myself to eat this one. I will keep him around and look at him until he is destined for the compost bin.


2 comments:

  1. I can honestly say those are the most romantic carrots I've ever seen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do look quite happy, don't they. That is why I just couldn't pull them apart to eat them.

    ReplyDelete