Tuesday, June 22

Utah's Loss

I do not live in Utah. I live in beautiful upstate NY. I have been to Utah and it is also beautiful. But I am a New Yorker, born and raised.

I have listened to a radio show for as long as I can remember. Some of you may not like this show but I find it entertaining, informative and a positive addition to my day. I listen to Bob Lonsberry on WHAM 1180. He is a part of my day. Sometimes I do not agree with him, sometimes I do. Sometimes it is political, sometimes it is about self sufficiency, sometimes about his family and about his weekend, and sometimes it is just something really funny. I just like it and I am used to it and, like I said, it is a part of my day.

Bob also broadcasts a morning show on KNRS in Utah. On too early in the morning for me to tune in live on the internet, but they offer a downloadable podcast that I listen to when I am walking with the little guy or gardening or when I am out on the mower. It was also a part of my day. Maybe not every day, but a part none the less.

I have come to think of Bob and his co-host / producers as friends. Please don't think I am strange, or a stalker or anything like that. When you get used to hearing someone at certain times during the day and you follow their lives through their stories, you become a little invested.

All this changed for me on Wednesday the 16th when I heard that Bob was fired from his job at KNRS">KNRS, along with his son Lee, who produced the show. I was pretty upset to say the least and it totally put me in foul mood for the rest of the day. I really enjoyed listening to the Utah show. He talked about different things than on the Rochester show, I enjoyed hearing about his adventures in Utah when he visited there and I enjoyed his segment where he discussed daily life on the air with Lee. Sometimes I miss the Rochester show due to baby obligations or whatever, so I counted on the Utah show to get me through.

Now, I am not addicted or crazy, I just like what I like. And I get used to things. I have a schedule and I like to stick to it.

Now my schedule is all screwed up. I am actually, truthfully upset about this.

I am sitting here now, in the kitchen, baby napping, the rain pouring down and Bob is on the solar radio, chatting away on WHAM. It's getting humid but I am happy. We still have my favorite radio show here in Rochester. I feel bad for the people in Utah.

Apparently, the people in Utah are not happy either. See link below:

Bring Bob Lonsberry Back to Utah

There are many ideas floating around the web as to why he and his sone were let go. Political, ratings, etc. I don't know what the truth is but all I can say is that Bob says what he thinks and some people don't like that. I like to think that most of the time it is mostly just common sense. And, like I said before, sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. Roy does not like the show, even through my best efforts to get him to listen. He is more on an NPR fan, which I will listen to once a while. I will listen to whatever interests me, regardless of the political undertones of a particular station.

Bottom line is that I think it really stinks that he is off the air. KNRS has lost a great show - the only local news show on that station as far as I can tell. He has been replaced by Glenn Beck. I used to like Glenn Beck. On rare occasions, I still do. But I really think that Glenn has just gone a little nuts.

(Shhhh, but I think he has a bunker stocked with Ensure and gold somewhere.)

1 comment:

  1. *whispers* I think Glenn's gone a little bit nuts too.

    ReplyDelete