Wednesday, May 26

Do-Nothing Day



Yesterday was one of those days where I didn't feel like doing much. Normally, I am stressing over the to-do list and making plans and wringing my hands over the progress of the tomato plants. We needed a break - the little guy and myself.

So yesterday was a do-nothing day for me and I actually enjoyed it, just a little. Not to say that I sat on my butt all day in front of the television with the baby on my lap. I did loads of laundry and hung them on the line since the weather was absolutely, beautifully perfect. I wandered around the yard with the little guy toddling along behind me, picking up a stick here, pulling a weed there.

Mostly, though, we sat in lounging lawn chairs and watched the chickens. An afternoon of the poultry channel. Connor actually likes to sit in the chair, all by himself. I know, you are thinking, what kid does that!!?? But he sits and plays with his little toys and stays put for an impressive amount of time.

So we sat and watched the girls and the ladies, occasionally tossing them a handful of birdfeeder food for a treat and to watch the show. He played with his Memorial Day star rattle and I blew bubbles that we both watched float around the yard.



Ever seen a soap bubble come into contact with a chicken? Amusing.

During our slow tours of the yard, I noticed all the things that are out and blooming. This past week has coaxed just about everything that flowers out and the gardens are exploding. The iris and all up and producing big, numerous blooms this year and the clematis vines are all going crazy, overnight it seems.

There are just so many things to look at and smell.....



Soon the entire front of the barn will be lined with pink, red and white roses, mixed in with all the other colors of the iris, clematis, daisy, poppy and so many others. This is truly my favorite time of summer - that little space between the end of spring and the beginning of summer - right around Memorial Day.

Just perfect.

And taking a day to enjoy it was just what we both needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment